Yoga turned my whole life around. Before I found yoga, my physical, mental, and emotional health was a mess.
- I had pain in my hips, back, shoulders, feet, calves, knees, legs, shoulders, neck, wrists, and fingers, and was diagnosed with Arthritis.
- I began having symptoms of chronic fatigue and fibromyalia. Everything hurt!
- I was smoking 2 packs of menthol cigarettes every day, and was down with colds and flu at least 4 times a year, year after year.
- My skin condition was a mess.
- I had no energy and my mental functioning began to suffer.
- My relationships with loved ones were sometimes … less than loving.
- My digestive system was in constant stress, and I was diagnosed with IBS and a number of other digestive ailments.
- My body was out of balance and I was at the top end of a size 16 pushing into an 18.
- The reason my immune and digestive systems were always in distress, was because my entire life was in constant stress, and technology was exacerbating everything!
The expectations of a 24/7/365 responsiveness lifestyle created a number of imbalances that pushed me further and further away from my best and most healthful way of living.
After getting past my judgments and fears of yoga, I fell in love with the practice under the guidance of an exceptional teacher, Nesta Falladown, and with her interpretation of the Iyengar method.
I came to Gentle and Restorative yoga after experiencing chronic pain and suffering with many life-challenging symptoms of stress related illnesses.
After experiencing my own unexpected health miracle through the practice, I studied closely with Nesta and graduated with distinction, becoming a certified yoga instructor (RYT-250 hour) under my original teacher’s guidance!
I began my teaching career on Dan, my husband, who is was an avid weightlifter. He was always in some sort of discomfort from over-bulking, chronic injury, or muscle spasm, and he found yoga to be very effective at relieving pain and improving his performance..
An opportunity with my local hospice came up and since 2008 it, has been a sincere pleasure to work extensively with Charlene Cheng at the Carpenter Hospice in Burlington, as a volunteer instructor in the Wellness Warrior Program. The Restorative Yoga program enables those dealing with life-limiting illnesses to improve their quality of life through the practice. These people are my heroes and remind me that this day is a gift, and that it’s my choice to enjoy today!
For years I taught in studios in the Burlington and Waterdown communities, in addition to my work at the Carpenter Hospice.
This miraculous turnaround in my own health eventually led me to leave a successful career in sales and marketing, to be of service to other by sharing this unique practice with those who are dealing with similar issues.
It has been an joy to accumulate over 1000 hours of teaching experience, in a variety of environments, to a diverse population of yoga practitioners. These teaching experiences have primarily been in the Restorative and Gentle domains, and I’ve expanded the horizons of inquiry in my personal practice and directed my explorations into hotter realms.
I really enjoy getting a great sweat on in either a Hot or Cool environment, and I have become known for teaching a unique blend of hot practices balanced with awareness of the slower precision and endurance traditions of the Iyengar lineage of practice.
No matter what kind of class I am teaching, people enjoy the unique way I provide modifications, progressions, and variations through the classes, so they can experience all the benefits of the poses, regardless of their physical fitness level,
My goal in teaching is to point everyone to their own healing through Yoga, mindfulness, loving-kindness, surrender peace, and joy.
My teachers include Nesta Falladown, Sue McLelland, Francois Raoult, Burt Peeters, Mac Swackhammer, Tony Murdock, Davina Parkinson, and Nishchala Joy Devi. Other important influences come from BKS Iyengar, Geeta Iyengar, Donna Farhi, Vanda Scaravelli, Ana Forrest, Swami Sivananda Radha, Judith Lasater, and the Feldenkrais method.
- Thanks again for the wonderful yoga lesson yesterday and the inspirational talk that could not have been more perfect for my day. I still marvel at how things sometimes happen in life; I had not even planned to do yoga, but when I couldn't focus anymore and started to make mistakes, I just checked the Chrysalis calendar and there it was - Hatha Yoga with Deb - and I thought, that's just what I need right now. So forty minutes before class I signed up, changed into my yoga clothes and off I went. The inspirational words you had chosen for us perfectly summed up my day. You are amazing - thanks!Carmen
- Warm and cozy are the best way to describe Deb's classes. Her smile and warmth light up the room and you feel at complete ease. She is truly one of the best yoga teachers I have ever practiced with and I learn so much from her classes. She truly embodies the entire Yogic experience and I recommend anyone starting yoga for the first time, attend one of Deb's classes. She will make you fall in love with Yoga.Amanda
- Deb is an open-hearted teacher. Sharing her energy, love and offering support to everyone in class. I am able to feel her gentle energy throughout our studio and classes. Her presence is felt in her communication and knowledge about the students needs. I am happy and honoured to be her student and a friend in her life.Meri P
- I have been fortunate to be a student in several workshops taught by Deborah. Her guidance has helped my practice become more mindful and focused. I highly recommend attending one of Deborah's workshops. She's a wonderful teacher!Victoria Monachino
- We have known Deb for a year now as our family yoga instructor. She comes to our home with her awesome spirit, her mats, balls, bricks and spiritual music. Her smile goes from ear to ear. We do a 2 hour session which involves restorative movements of stretching and healing. I feel amazing after each session. The 3 of of are at different levels and she works with that. I go for a massage every week but Debbie is the only one that can truly relax and smooth out those muscles deep inside with her special stretches. My daughter works with her 12 horses every day and my husband cuts trees on our property and does heavy work and I use my hands and arms a lot and I do not know what we would do without her. God bless Deborah Devine. We recommend her highly.Maura R
- Practicing yoga with Deb changed my life tremendously. I had been really depressed and dealing with anxiety for several months and my doctor recommended I do yoga classes. I started attending gentle yoga and restorative yoga classes 3-5 times a week and instantly fell in love with it. I was able to fall asleep more easily, was a lot less anxious, and looked forward to going to yoga every evening instead of coming straight home after work and moping around all evening like I had been doing previously. The most noticeable thing that changed in me when I started taking Deb’s classes was how much more calm I was and changed the way I reacted to situations. Deb is so cheerful and kind, and her passion for yoga and helping others is so contagious and inspiring. Also I will forever be grateful for the day I hurt my back and you stayed late with me to help me out! so kind.Aleksa
Join me on the Brand New ONE for some Healing Yoga airing at 6:30AM and 6:00PM daily.